Hand Tool Joinery for Fine Furniture Makingwith Frank Klausz
June 21-22, 2014 (9-4pm)
About the Instructor
Frank Klausz is a master craftsman who served in a classic apprenticeship in his native Hungary, where he learned to do everything by hand. Soon after emigrating to the US, Frank became one of the authorities on handcut dovetails and other types of traditional joinery. This class will give you rare exposure to his approach to hand tool woodworking with ample time to practice what you learn..
These are the tools we'll learn about in the class. You are not required to bring all of them; we will provide demonstration tools for you to use. However, it is helpful for you to practice with your own tools, so bring as many of these as you'd like. You may also make purchases in our showroom on site.
Please do not bring tools in need of repair or major fettling – there will not be time to fully tune them for use during the workshop.
Note: The hyperlinks below are for LN tools, though you are welcome to bring tools of other brands.
- Jack Plane (#62 Low Angle Jack Plane or #5½ Bench Plane)
- Smoothing Plane (#4 Smoothing Plane or #4-1/2 Smoothing Plane, preferably with a High Angle Frog of 50 or 55 degrees)
- Block Plane (#102 Low Angle Block Plane, #60 ½ Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block Plane, #60 ½ or Rabbet Block Plane)
- Shoulder Plane (#073 Large Shoulder Plane) Router Plane (#71 Close Throat Router)
- Bevel Edge Chisels (5 Piece Set)
- Dovetail Saw
- Carcass Saw
- Tenon Saw
- Bevel Gauge or Dovetail Marker
- 12”-18” Starrett Rule
- Tite-Mark Marking Gauge
- Sharpening Set
Cost is $250, lunch included. Limited to 15 people.
Located at Lie-Nielsen Toolworks: Route 1, Warren, Maine 04864.
Please call to register: 800-327-2520, $100 nonrefundable deposit required at registration, full payment required 30 days before the workshop. For more information email us.