Build a Table with Hand Toolswith Joshua Klein
June 16-17, 2018
Saturday (9-5) Sunday (9-4)
Materials Fee: $150
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Required Tools: See Below
Total cost is $425; $275 Ticket and $150 Materials Fee. Lunch included. Limited to 12 people.
Located at Lie-Nielsen Toolworks: Route 1, Warren, Maine 04864.
To sign up, click the 'Buy' button above or call: 800-327-2520. A non-refundable $125 advance deposit is required at checkout; full payment is required 30 days before the workshop. In the event that a Workshop needs to be cancelled, we will contact you at this time. For more information call or email us.
Note: For customers unable to take projects with them, shipping charges apply.
This workshop teaches building a small pine worktable with hand tools as a pre-industrial woodworking introduction.
Objectives of the Workshop:
About the Instructor
Joshua Klein is a furniture conservator/maker in mid-coast Maine and editor-in-chief of Mortise & Tenon Magazine. Three years in a row, Joshua has been selected for the Early American Life Directory of Traditional American Crafts (2015-2017) for his hand-tool-only approach to period furniture making. His first book, Hands Employed Aright: The Furniture Making of Jonathan Fisher (1768-1847) is soon to be published by Lost Art Press.
Below are some of the tools we'll learn about in the class. We encourage you to bring your own tools or buy the required tools when you get here, as there are not enough classroom tools to outfit everyone.
Please do not bring tools in need of repair or major fettling – there will not be time to fully tune them for use during the workshop.
Please keep in mind, the best way to guarantee available tools for the class is to call ahead with an order. Some items on this list may be specific to another toolmaker. Please call us with any questions.
Note: The list below references tools Lie-Nielsen carries, though you are welcome to bring tools from other makers.
- Crosscut Panel Saw or Hand Saw
- Rip Panel Saw or Hand Saw
- Carcass Saw
- Tenon Saw
- Dovetail Saw
- Basic Set of Bevel Edged Chisels (1/4", 1/2", 3/4")
- 5/16" or 3/8" Mortise Chisel
- Brace (or Eggbeater Drill) and 1/4" Drill Bit
- A Fore Plane or Jack Plane (preferably with a heavily cambered blade): No. 62 Low Angle Jack Plane, No. 5 Jack Plane, or No. 5-1/2 Jack Plane (or a Jack Plane and a No. 40-1/2 Scrub Plane)
- No. 7 Jointer Plane or No. 8 Jointer Plane
- No. 4 Smooth Plane or No. 4-1/2 Smooth Plane
- Try Square or Combination Square
- Marking Knife
- Tite-Mark Marking Gauge or Mortise Gauge
- Pair of Dividers